Tuesday, October 1, 2013

New Art Out of the Studio

This is a new piece of art that I just completed in the studio this afternoon.  Unlike most of the art on this blog, this painting was created using Shiva Paintstiks on rag paper and is rather large at 52"x36".  The image is in celebration of the World Championships coming to my adopted home town of Richmond, VA in the United States in 2015.  It has been years since the professional, world tour peloton have swung through the streets of Richmond, but the cycling community is very strong here in the South.  This work will be available through my artist website, www.greigleach.com when I give it a title and load it up.

In 2020, during the Black Lives Matter Protests, the Lee Monument became a focus point for those who found these statues to Confederate "heroes" either a symbol of all that is racist in America, and to those who hold some of those same racist beliefs, a symbol of the "strength of the South"  During that summer, shortly after the death of George Floyd, I decided that I needed to create a painting dealing with the protests and all that they represented.  

As I was thinking about that, it became clear it would be symbolic to create that new work over this painting.  The resulting piece, "I Can't Breathe" has now been included in the visual history of the Black Lives Matter organization.  The new piece is a much better work of art, made all the more so by having this painting underneath (and hopefully what the monuments celebrate buried underneath as well). 

You can see this artwork (and purchase a print of the original) at my website, www.greigleach.com and all of my other paintings as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment