Sunday, June 1, 2014

Giro d'Italia Final Stage: Now We Can Rejoice

This seems like the perfect title to end my work on the 97th Giro d'Italia.  We have been witnesses to some great racing, ecstatic jubilation, and crushing disappointment, but all in all we have seen bike racing at its finest.  I don't know if Nairo Quintana (Movistar) is superstitious but I did notice that he did not do any outward signs of victory celebration, no champagne during the stage, no visiting each team car to be congratulated.  All he allowed himself was a fist pump as he crossed the final finishing line of the Giro and then the hugs and cheers from first his team and then all of Colombia.  During the broadcast on BeIn Sports, I learned from Daniel Lloyd and Carlton Kirby, that this is the first of the three Grand Tours ever that a Western European never held the leader's jersey.  In this Giro the Maglia Rosa went from a Canadian to two different Australians and then to two different Colombians.  This is a wonderful indication of the growth of cycling and its International appeal.  This is an original watercolor and ink postcard that is available for purchase through my artist website at www.greigleach.com.  For this particular painting, just follow the direct link at the end of this post.

This is the end of my Giro d'Italia cycling pieces, they will remain available at my website.  I will enjoy a break, just like the peloton.  But I will be back in a couple of weeks painting another race, most likely the Criterium de Dauphine, followed by the 101st Tour de France.  Thank you for follow my artwork and a special thank you to all who have bought one of these little paintings for your own.

http://www.greigleach.com/large-view/Giro%20d'Italia%202014/2374006---198213/Painting.html#.U4uXV8_D_IU

No comments:

Post a Comment